From treating insomnia, reducing anxiety, to reducing inflammation, CBD oil is used for a variety of different purposes. That said, some people prefer to make their own, instead of buying it in stores or online. Ever wonder how to make CBD oil? You can do it at home if you follow this CBD oil recipe.
The extraordinary plant chemical of CBD, or cannabidiol, is being extensively studied for its health applications. The scientific research available now highlights the many different uses it has, too. New ways of using CBD are popping up each year as more data becomes available on the efficacy of different types of CBD oils.
A lot goes into the production of commercial CBD oil in order to get the highest quality product to consumers. This can get quite expensive, as you can imagine.
How to Make CBD Oil: Is it Possible?
If you ever wondered if it is possible to make your own CBD oil at home. Or even if it is worth it to save a few bucks. The short answer is yes!
Despite the fact that DIY CBD oils might not be as pure and professionally measured as commercially produced CBD oils at large scale, they might still be a better choice than an unknown brand with no certificate or properly labeled ingredients.
Plus, as a bonus you get to learn about CBD, the extraction process, plant material, purity, carrier oil ingredients, and much more. We care about quality CBD oils as much as we care about helping others take advantage of its healing properties the right way.
After all, you don’t want your first CBD experience to be a disappointment due to a subpar hemp plant. The great thing about your personal CBD project is that you can use natural plant oils, different hemp strains, and ingredients you know.
And who knows, you might even enjoy brewing CBD and it might turn out to be a worthwhile investment! The good news is that you do not need a lot to start with.
Remember, you can always buy CBD oil from us here at New Phase Blends, should you change your mind.
Things You’ll Need to Make CBD Oil:
- High-CBD hemp flower (from high CBD strain)
Let’s start your DIY CBD oil project…
How To Make Your Own CBD Oil – Why Should you Try It?
The answer is simple: it’s easier than you think to get started.
Although making CBD oil at home can seem intimidating, especially with all the products flooding the market by storm. But some people like to get crafty and dig a little deeper.
It’s fun creating new things!
Where To Get The Best Ingredients For A CBD Tincture?
If you want to shop online your best bet will be to find a store that carries CBD that has been independently tested and verified for ingredients and purity.
This is important as there are a lot of products out there that do not always fully disclose the whole production process and testing. Always check where the ingredients for your oil come from.
Another option is finding local stores or producers.
If There Are So Many Quality CBD Oil Products Why Would You Want To Make CBD Oil At Home?
The thing is, if you are looking for a specific type of CBD oil for a certain problem you will most likely need to experiment.
Making CBD oil takes a lot of time and money. It will take a while before you find your perfect kind, dose, taste or even way of ingesting.
You will have to go through hundreds of products, reviews, different price tags, etc.
And if you don’t like oil, you can always opt for cannabis edibles if that’s your fancy.
Even if you don’t end up making CBD oil for life, you will surely learn a lot and life will become easier when scouting for products
After you’ve brewed your first batch of CBD oil you will know exactly what you want and what is your favorite oil.
If you have access to high-quality hemp flowers or are growing yourself, and can get good quality carrier oil you are well on your way to making CBD oil at home.
Whether you are buying or brewing you will need to be patient to achieve the best results. That being said, if you choose to make your own CBD oil it will not take you as nearly as long as with industrial-grade factory equipment.
You also do not need any specialized lab or expertise.
What You Need To Make CBD Oil From Hemp
Figuring out how to make CBD oil from hemp is simple. You only need two ingredients to make CBD infused extract:
- high-quality CBD flower (derived from hemp)
- carrier oil (olive oil, hemp seed oil, MCT oil, canola oil, coconut oil)
Make sure to get flowers of the highest quality and purity. Most high quality CBD strains are grown indoors rather than outdoors. This is because when you are growing indoors you have control over factors such lighting, temperature, moisture, CO2, space between plants, etc.
As for the carrier oil it is highly personal what you prefer. CBD binds to fats, so MCT oil is considered the best source of fatty acids for CBD with higher absorption rates.
Other household items you will need are:
DIY CBD Oil: How To Activate The CBD
All the beneficial cannabinoids in the cannabis flower are inactive in their default state.
We need to convert the CBDA into CBD.
How would we do that?
By heating it up and removing the carboxyl group from the compound. The decarboxylation process activates CBD and releases its power.
We like to use a precision cooker because it makes it easy to extract different cannabinoids at different times and temperatures. The process runs smoothly and produces your desired cannabinoids faster.
Alternatively, you can use a big pot, oven or a cooker. This method will not be as precise, but it is enough to get you started with making CBD oil at home.
Fast and Easy CBD Oil With A Slow Cooker
Once you have gathered your hemp flower, some carrier oil you can move on to the next step of activating CBD.
- 5 grams of CBD hemp flowers
- 2/4 cup MCT oil
- ¼ teaspoon of herbal extract (optional)
Instructions For Making CBD Oil
Ok, let’s get into the instructions now.
- Grind the flower coarsely (NOTE: You can also use kief or concentrate)
- Place the material inside the cooker
- Activate heat to 280F
- Let the cooker run the full cycle and cool down
Complete the Oil Infusion
- Pour the prepared oil over the decarbed flowers and seal the flex
- Press the button to activate the infuse cycle
- Wait for the cooker to cool down
- Strain the oil through a fine strainer
- Store the prepared oil for up to 2 months
How To Make CBD Oil Using Other Methods?
If you are not using a precision cooker or a slow cooker there are alternative methods for making oil from CBD. As for solvents, many people like to use alcohol or cooking oil.
Another method is using cooking oil. Many people like to use plant-derived oil as a carrier. These oils are fat soluble and make it easy for CBD to bind to fat molecules.
Below we cover all types of homemade extractions in detail.
Make CBD Oil With Alcohol
No, you don’t need a fancy piece of industrial equipment like this.
In the alcohol extraction method you soak the hemp in alcohol until the cannabinoids are separated from it. The longer you soak the CBD flowers in food safe alcohol the stronger the extract will be.
Any oil made using alcohol is called a tincture. Keep in mind that you should perform the extraction in a safe room where there is no risk of explosion.
This is due to the fact that alcohol is flammable. Always make sure the room has proper ventilation. A completely closed off room is not the best choice for making alcohol tinctures.
- decarboxylated hemp flower
- high-proof alcohol
- mixing bowl
- tincture bottle
Instructions to Make Your Own CBD Oil:
- After you’ve decarboxylated your CBD put it in a bowl and pour alcohol over it covering it entirely.
- Stir for 10 minutes with a wooden spoon. This process pulls out all the beneficial compounds and terpenes.
- Next, pour the concoction into a glass jar.
- Store in a cool and dark place for a minimum of 1 month (2 months is best – the longer you can store it the better).
- Strain the liquid through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a container. The tincture will have a dark green color.
- Pour the tincture into a double boiler and start applying low heat. High proof alcohol evaporates at low temperatures. Ensure you have proper ventilation for this process, as alcohol vapor is highly volatile and can explode. You should probably do this outdoors for extra safety.
- After the alcohol is fully evaporated it will have a thick texture, almost like tar. You can put it in a syringe or a glass dropper. Some people like to mix it with a carrier oil to increase the overall volume of the end product.
Make CBD Oil With MCT Oil
This process is similar to alcohol extraction. After all the alcohol has been evaporated, and you have a thick extract, combine it with MCT oil. You can experiment with different tincture to oil ratios. This will affect the overall strength of the CBD oil.
Why Is MCT Oil So Good For Making CBD Tinctures?
Because the medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) are fatty acids that bind to cannabinoids exceptionally well. They enhance the bioavailability of CBD and other cannabinoids.
MCT oil is widely available in online stores, and isn’t very expensive at all.
Make CBD Oil With a Coconut Oil Carrier
This extraction process is similar to using any type of oil, but will end up with a MCT carrier oil.
What is needed:
- high-CBD hemp flower
- coconut oil
- double boiler
- strainer or cheesecloth
- collector dish
- Put the decarboxylated flowers into a double boiler with coconut oil and start the extraction.
- Let it simmer (up to 3 hours). Be careful not to over boil the mixture (do not go over 338 degrees Fahrenheit as it will degrade the terpenes).
- The end product will have a dark color.
- Remove the lid from the boiler, get a glass jar, put a strainer on top of a collector dish and pour the extract into it. You can use a wooden spatula to squeeze out the remaining liquid.
- Store the CBD coconut oil in a jar, sealing it tightly in a cool, dry place.
Make CBD Oil With Olive Oil
Another way of taking advantage of CBD’s fat solubility is olive oil.
If you don’t have any coconut oil handy, olive oil will suffice.
You can get creative and cook CBD-infused meals to your liking.
How Maximize Your Homemade CBD Oil Extractions?
Extracting CBD can be a very tricky field. Here are some tips on how to maximize your efforts, which should leave you with a better over all product, and more efficient time spent.
- Get only organic, CBD-rich flower
- Use highly soluble oil (coconut oil is best for due to high bioavailability)
- Experiment with different dosage of your CBD infusion
- You can add herbal extracts of your choice to improve the earthy flavor of hemp
- Always store in a cool, dark place for best potency and longevity
Tips For Using Homemade CBD Oil
- For best absorption, use CBD under the tongue
- Cook your favorite meals with CBD (Note: do not cook over 338 degrees Fahrenheit as you might waste some of the CBD extract)
- You can reuse alcohol from your tincture (add it to drinks and cocktails if you want)
- CBD can be used as a base for beauty and skincare products. CBD is known for having nourishing effects on the skin. Some products you can make with CBD are face creams, face serums, face masks or even DIY body butter!
How to Make CBD Gummies
CBD gummies might be considered a little harder than making CBD oils, because you have to deal with forming candies in molds, in addition to adding the CBD. Check out our guide on how to make CBD gummies for more information, if this is something that interests you.
Is Making CBD Oil At Home Worth Trying?
Absolutely yes! If you like to get crafty or have a low budget this is the project for you.
Not only will you learn how to brew your own CBD but you will also learn about the production and extraction processes along the way. This will make it easy for you to choose the right product for your specific condition. Heck, you might even start your own little production facility!
Summary – Make Your Own CBD Oil
As you can see, making your own CBD oil is doable, but it can be very involved. If you like this type of project, that’s great! If you’d prefer to simply buy high quality CBD oil from us, we’ll give you free shipping and a money back guarantee.