Cannabidiol (CBD) gummies have exploded in popularity over the past few years as an easy and tasty way to get a dose of CBD. CBD is a chemical compound found in cannabis plants that offers potential health benefits without causing a “high”. While generally considered safe, CBD does have some potential negative side effects to be aware of. In this article, we’ll explore what the research says about the potential adverse effects of CBD gummies on our bodies.
What Are CBD Gummies?
CBD gummies are edible candies that contain cannabidiol, a chemical found in cannabis plants. Unlike marijuana that contains high levels of THC, the psychoactive compound that causes a high, CBD gummies are made from hemp plants that contain less than 0.3% THC.
CBD gummies provide the potential benefits of CBD in a fun, familiar format by infusing CBD extract into gummy candies. They come in a variety of delicious flavors, colors, and shapes like traditional gummy bears and worms. Most CBD gummies contain between 5-25mg of CBD per gummy.
Negative Side Effects of CBD Gummies
According to the World Health Organization, CBD is generally well tolerated and considered to have a good safety profile. Most people do not experience significant side effects from CBD when used in moderate doses. However, CBD does have the potential to cause some undesirable effects in certain individuals, especially at higher doses.
Potential negative side effects of CBD gummies may include:
- Digestive Issues: Diarrhea, nausea, or changes in appetite. CBD can interact with the digestive system.
- Fatigue: Feelings of tiredness, especially when taken in high doses. Lower doses are less likely to cause drowsiness.
- Changes in Weight or Appetite: CBD may temporarily suppress appetite. Over time, this may shift and increase appetite as CBD interacts with the endocannabinoid system.
- Dry Mouth: A common side effect of CBD is dry mouth or cottonmouth. This can lead to thirst and feelings of dryness in the mouth.
- Dizziness: High doses of CBD could potentially cause lightheadedness in some individuals. Lower doses are less likely to cause dizziness.
- Interactions with Medications: CBD may interact with certain over-the-counter medications and prescription medications, especially those metabolized through the liver. Check with your doctor about potential interactions.
Are CBD Gummies Safe?
CBD gummies are considered generally safe and well-tolerated, according to research. Most people can take CBD gummies without experiencing any significant side effects. However, some minor side effects like dry mouth, diarrhea, and fatigue may occur. As with any supplement, it’s a good idea to start with a low dose of CBD gummies to assess your individual tolerance.
Summary – Adverse Effects of CBD Gummies Products
While CBD gummies side effects are normally mild, it’s always best to start with a low CBD dose when trying a new CBD product. Drink plenty of water, reduce dosage, or stop taking CBD if any unpleasant side effects occur. As with any supplement, consult your doctor before taking CBD if you have an underlying medical condition or take any medications. Overall, CBD gummies are considered generally safe if used responsibly by healthy adults. But side effects can occur on an individual basis.